More International Equestrian Events Canceled Due to Coronavirus, but Las Vegas World Cup and Tokyo Olympics Still on Track
2 years ago StraightArrow Comments Off on More International Equestrian Events Canceled Due to Coronavirus, but Las Vegas World Cup and Tokyo Olympics Still on Track
Mar, 3, 2020
By KENNETH J. BRADDICK
Three more equestrian events were reported by the International Equestrian Federation Tuesday to have been canceled due to the coronavirus, all this month and in countries hardest hit by the outbreak. Planning for the World Cup in Las Vegas in April and the Olympics in Tokyo in summer were reported proceeding on track.
The latest additions to the list of cancellations are a CCI1* Event in Hong Kong Mar. 14, CEI1* and CEI2* Endurance in Kerman, Iran Mar. 5-6 and CRI3*, CRIY3* and CRIJ3* Reining in Cremona, Italy Mar. 26-27.
A CSI5* and CSIJ-B Jumping competitions set for Hong Kong’s Asia Horse Week Feb. 14-16 had already been canceled.
Two Kiev, Ukraine Dressage World Cup events scheduled for May 1-3 and May 8-10 have also been canceled.
The two major international equestrian events this year are the World Cup Finals of Dressage and Jumping scheduled for Las Vegas April 15-19 and the Olympics in Tokyo scheduled for July 24-Aug. 9.
Organizers of the World Cup at the Thomas & Mack Center reported that coronavirus, or COVID-19 as it is officially called, continues to be monitored.
“To date,” the organizers said in a statement, “there are no travel restrictions imposed on the destination. We remain committed to following the protocols and guidance suggested by the Centers for Disease Control and the Southern Nevada Health District, as the safety and health of our employees and guests remains of utmost priority. In addition, the Thomas & Mack Center will maintain its own safety protocols which will include numerous hand sanitizing locations on site.”
The International Olympic Committee reported Tuesday after an executive board meeting it “expressed its full commitment” to the success of the Tokyo Games.
The IOC board received a report on all the measures taken so far to address the situation and “appreciates and supports the measures being taken, which constitute an important part of Tokyo’s plans to host safe and secure Games.”
“The IOC EB encourages all athletes to continue to prepare for the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020,” it said. “The IOC will keep supporting the athletes by providing the latest information and developments…”